January 16, 2008

GardenologyKC - Asking for your support, again.

There have been days when I have felt so alone in my struggle to overcome the obstacles of owning a small retail shoppe. These times are usually at night in the wee hours of the morning when I wake up with the "big eye" as my husband calls it. We've all had those mornings when we wake up and begin to think about that "thing" we just can't solve quickly or have no control over.



But, then later that morning I open the shoppe and one of you - our cherished regular customers - enters the shoppe and begins to share how much you love to visit Gardenology. How it makes you feel better when you are having a bad day or how you have been looking forward to it for days and it is your personal treat to yourself. Then I think to myself, girl you surely must be doing something right.



The economy has really hit small businesses like mine hard and I am contemplating how to survive the next 1-2 years until gas prices drop again and things start to turn around. I had planned on moving to a higher volume shopping center but, due to the high cost of retail space and the economy taking a downturn, I must stay in my current location for the time being. You all know my location stinks!



We have overcome many obstacles in the past 18 months, our street being closed, the 87th Street exit being closed for over a year and our difficulties with the City of Lenexa. We have survived these challenges and hope we can overcome our next challenge - a recession. Goodness, will it ever end?



I am not sure if we will survive this challenge as retailers like Tiffanys, Nordstroms, Macys, and even Target have reported a terrible year of sales for 2007. We also had a tough year with lower sales than expected. Let's just say I didn't achieve my sales goals this year, by quite a bit. I had hoped to break even in 2007.



So, I have asked for your support in the past, and I must ask for assistance once more. Please keep Gardenology in mind when you are looking for the next birthday present or decor purchase.



I ask this because of my belief that - "Heaven helps those that help themselves." So I will be opening an internet store on our website, continue selling things on eBay, adding lots of new workshops, carrying hard to find plants and merchandise, reducing our overhead as much as possible without sacrificing a great shopping experience. The most important thing I can do is to appeal to you - our regular customers.



Thank you for your kindness and generosity. I know that you will tell all of your friends about our shoppe, put flyers up in your office bulletin boards, church bulletin boards, forward our emails to friends and family, etc. to help us in any way that you can. It's just the kind of gals you are.



I look forward to seeing you all soon at our upcoming event - "My Dirty Affair With Gardening Party" - February 1st - 7th.



We have been working furiously to get everything ready for the big event. See you there!

No comments: