November 12, 2012

Our Farmhouse Nest

 
nest (nst)
n.
1.
a. A container or shelter made by a bird out of twigs, grass, or other material to hold its eggs and young.
b. A place in which young are reared; a lair.
2.
A place affording snug refuge or lodging; a home.
 
This nest wasdangling from wild grape vines hanging from my giant red oak tree at the farm.  Having a weakness for birds and nests, I gently clipped the vines and nest from the tree and gathered them together with a bit of jute twine and it now hangs from a white cast iron bird hook in my dining room.


I have abandoned bird's nests scattered throughout the farmhouse sometimes nestled into a ironstone bowl, under a glass dome or in a vintage jar.  They are in every room of the house with the exception of the kitchen.


I think the nest and grapevines look great hanging from the bird hook against the white door.  The grapevine has dried blue grapes in clusters on the vines.

 
Ah yes, Life Is Beautiful, don't you think?  A new bracelet in French fresh from my studio that sums up those little nests...
 
Blessings My Friends,
 
Julie

3 comments:

Alice said...

Such a sweet nest. I love nests too, but have only one tiny nest under glass. I love the idea of hanging them on the door.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Love it, Julie... the nest and the bracelet!

XO,

Sheila

cynthia newman said...

We are definately kindred spirits!!