July 23, 2011

Chamomile Blossom Crochet Ballet Slippers


Chamomile Blossom Crochet Ballet Slippers

I recently purchased a crochet book from Japan that is filled with patterns for flower blossoms of all types and immediately fell in love with the chamomile blossoms in the book.  I thought sweet pale green ballet slippers would be the perfect project to showcase the blossoms.

If you have ever worn crochet slippers the crochet bottoms are not the most comfortable and they are slippery on hard wood floors.  I selected pale gray buttery soft suede for the bottoms instead.  I punched holes around the edge and this provided a way to crochet around the edge of the suede to begin the slippers.


After a few trial and errors I had a pattern that resulted in the desired look of the ballet slippers.  I did chainstitch  loops to thread the pale green satin ribbon through so the slippers can be adjusted for a close fit.



The chamomile blossom were crocheted in three different sizes as no two blossoms are ever the same in nature.  Right?  The yellow cap was made first, then the white petals were added and the green base and stems were crocheted seperately.  The blossoms were then stuffed with polyfil  and hand stitched together.  The final step was stitching the blossoms to the ballet slippers at the toe.

I loved the result so much that I immediately started another pair in robin's egg blue which are finished and waiting for the chamomile blossoms which I have yet to finish.

But, today is bread and butter pickle canning day at my house...I am working with a 5 gallon bucket of cucumbers from my garden.  I will share my recipes and canning instructions later. 

Blessings my friends - Julie

4 comments:

Numinosity said...

Sweet and soft slippers. You are so talented, Julie. Nice to see what you've been up to. I've been picking wild blueberries but nothing as ambitious as canning them, just freezing for later.
xoxo Kim

Sheena said...

These are beautiful. Approximately how close were the holes you punched in the suede?

Sheena said...

These are so beautiful! Approximately how close are the holes you punched in the suede?

Julie Pishny said...

Thank you! The holes were approximately every quarter inch. Thanks for stopping by.