January 24, 2011

Art Sings of God Wide Cuff Metalwork Bracelet


For Art Sings of God and Ultimately Belongs to Him

"Much has been said about Robert, (Robert Maplethorpe) and more will be added.  Young men will adopt his gait.  Young girls will wear white dresses and mourn his curls.  He will be condemned and adored.  His excesses damned or romanticized.  In the end, truth will be found in his work, the corporeal body of the artist.  It will not fall away.  Man cannot judge it.  For art sings of God, and ultimately belongs to him."

I am reading Patti Smith's latest book, Just Kids that won the National Book Award and was one of the best ten books of 2010 chosen by NPR Radio.  Patti has a lyrical way of writing that is a deep pleasure to read and I highly recommend this book.



I was inspired by the idea that Art Sings of God and ultimately belongs to Him.  Today, so I cut a piece of heavy gauge copper to form into a wide cuff bracelet.  I saw a model wearing a wide cuff bracelet in a fashion magazine that I was thumbing through while waiting for my car to be repaired and the image stuck.  The expression by Patti Smith and the vision of the wide cuff inspired this bracelet.


I wanted the cuff to have an organic feel to it, as well as a celestial reference.  The upper portion of the cuff is celestial and the bottom of the cuff is organic referencing tall grass of the prairies.

I placed the HIM above in the celestial area of the cuff as I often look to the heavens for guidance, gratitude and patience.



Hand forming metal is such a pleasureable experience putting my fingerprint on the metal by repeated blows of the hammer.  I never grow tired of bending and forming the metal.  I especially like working with copper it responds well to hammering and the patina of the copper comes to life when polished to a high sheen.

More wide cuff bracelets that I love, just for inspiration.

Cuff by Eva





Gucci Fall 2010


Miley Cyrus - Oscars 2010

Blessings - Julie



10 comments:

In the Light of the Moon said...

Your cuff is stunning and the words beautiful.Warmest Regards,Cat

Judy said...

Your cuff is stunning! I love the organic feel. It is so wonderful when a feeling can help you create a lovely piece of art.

Numinosity said...

I like yours the best,your inspiration and the look of it.
It's gleaming in its beauty. Wonderful piece, Julie!
xoxo Kim

stregata said...

Wonderful work on the cuff, Julie. I love the texture!

Diane said...

Your cuff is beautiful Julie. Very original and so very fun =) I have not worked much with copper...funny isn't it how we tend to stay with one metal, until perhaps a "challenge" brings us to another?
Take care~
diane

Jester said...

OH HOW I LOVE THAT!! I just took a class last week & made a small copper cuff & can't wait to try more. Your piece is such an inspiration!!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful cuff and beautiful words. Great post!

Sharon said...

I love the organic nature of your cuff; the textures and sentiment speak of strength and endurance. Really stunning!

Lesley Edmonds said...

How beautiful. I love copper and both are marvellously made and to His glory.
Lesley x

Esther said...

what an awesome cuff!! beautiful!! really!! and a perfect shine!!