May 18, 2009

Tell Me What You Eat

The act of putting into your mouth what
the earth has grown is perhaps the
most direct interaction with the earth. 
- Frances Moore Lappe

Look at the lovely French Breakfast radishes from our Spring garden - they are beautiful and delicious.  These are fresh picked radishes straight from the garden and in the bucket.  

Radishes are the first thing ready for picking in the garden each Spring.  Radishes are super fast - germinating in just 3-7 days and ready for table within three weeks.  For continuous harvest throughout the warmer months plant every other week.

It's fun to take Caleb and Tasha, my nephew and little niece out to the garden to pick radishes.  We wipe them off and pop them into our mouths right out of the garden - they loved them.  The French Breakfast variety are very mild - making them a favorite of the kids.

My favorite seeds are Botanical Interest seeds due to quality, number of seeds in the packets and the lovely illustrations on the packages.  The seed packet illustrations are so beautifully done they look great framed in a shadow box.

Radishes are rich in ascorbic acid, folic acid, and potassium.  They are a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, and calcium.   So eat up, there's only 20 calories in one cup of sliced radishes!

Radishes can also be planted in containers on patios or balconies - you don't need a garden plot to grow them.  Just put potting soil into large pot and plant the seeds.  You'll have radishes for your table within 3-4 weeks.  Radishes do require full sun, which means 10 - 14 hours of direct sun each day.

Dan provides the bulk of the back breaking work our garden requires.  He tills for me and helps hoe out the weeds.  I usually pull the weeds, while Dan likes to chop them out with a hoe.  He's all about the tools and I like to crawl around and get dirty.  It says alot about our personalities.

Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.
- Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin


1 comment:

Lee Weber said...

Hey Julie- your veggies look like jewels. I have to say, I do not like radishes, but they are lovely. Your comment about your hubby liking tools and you liking dirt cracked me up!! My hubby and I are the same!

Hope you are well? Enjoying the swap? xoxo