December 12, 2008

Favorite Things In My House

Lyssa asked me the other day, "What's your house like?"  How do I describe my house that is ecclectic at best filled with things I love.  Not always pretty things, not always main stream, and often cluttered.

I was at a loss to describe my house to her.  I suppose it is one of those homes you just have to see to get the jest....  Somehow it all works together.  I have lots of original art in my home.  Of course, I have my things that I have put together over the years, but I also have alot of art from other artists I admire.  Paintings, sculpture, textiles, pottery, metalwork, carpentry, glass, folk art, baskets, and so much more.  It makes me happy to be surrounded by handcrafted things - just good juju to be surrounded by art made with caring and gifted hands.

One of my favorite treasures are these little black leather children's shoes that I have had for years.  One of the little shoes is missing the lace, but I think that is part of the charm.  They are sitting inside a glass cloche on a pedistal on vintage books and a crocheted doily.

In front of the books is an easel made from a vintage silver spoon with a tintype of a little girl with black leather shoes that seems not to pleased to sit still for the photograph.
The tintype is held in place by a vintage hand clasp.  A glass ink well, fountain pen, pine cone from by back yard and a white candle please me very much.  
The primitive cabinet in white has cork feet from a fishermen's net.  I found the statuary piece at an antique shop in Medicine Lodge.  

I use the vintage Royal typewriter for cards, gift tags and the like.  I have placed a vintage piece of paper in the typewriter and added a poem about what else......shoes, of course!

The oil painting of the Nun gazing into the window of a hat shoppe is my prized possession.  It was painted by David Snodgrass, the most talented artist I have met.  I love it.
One of my statues of "mother and child" that I collect.
Another vintage statue of Saint Mary that I found at an antique store.  I think they pair so well with the lemon cypress we are selling in the shoppe by Laurie Kessler.  
A larger view of the whole, a vintage porcelain lamp from Italy, vintage stained glass window, printer's drawer, star flowers in ironstone atop a primitive black stool.  A plant in a galvanized container with pine cones around the top and my collection of "mother and child" prints.
We put these together in the shoppe for a table centerpiece, entry table or hostess gift.  We have a limited number available so call the shoppe to reserve yours quickly.  They are sure to go fast at only $45.00.  A wire basket holds paperwhites ready for planting, glass orbs that hold tealights, a euronymous in a tiny terra cotta pot and a tiny wren watching over her nest with one single egg.

A larger view of the arrangement for your table.
Another great Holiday item is this primitive tin angel tealight holder that reflects the shape of stars on her wings in the candle light.  So pretty on the mantel or in your kitchen.  We have them available in three styles and sizes.

No comments: