August 24, 2008

Vintage Leather Coin Purse Necklace













I wanted to share this altered necklace I put together specifically for myself. It doesn't happen as often as you might think.

The leather coin purse reminds me of my Grandma Pearl. She carried one in her handbag. She carried her coins in it and would open it to give each of us money for candy. A happy memory for me - Grandma and candy....hmmm.

I added the FEAR NO ART stamped plate to the front to remind myself to embrace my ideas without fear of creating something awful. It happens from time to time, and I have learned to have a sense of humor about it. I say - "So what if it doesn't work out - it's fun to try".
I love vintage ladies watches and attached one to my necklace. I removed the face because the gears are so much more interesting. I also have an issue with rigid schedules. I like the freedom to create. So, removing the face of the watch was symbolic in some ways.
I attached a vintage Music medal that was pinned to a Lettermans Sweater at some point long ago. I don't know about you, but I couldn't live without music. It's a big part of my everyday.
I added the GYPSY plate to the back for fun. This piece seemed like a gypsy type of necklace made from bits of this and that creatively combined.
I'll never be lost when I wear this necklace as I have the key that reminds me - YOU ARE HERE. Where ever you go there you are!

I have been gathering up small vintage leather coin purses to make more necklaces like this one as I have gotten lots of positive responses whenever I wear it. The little leather coin purses are hard to find in good condition. I have been searching as time allows for months and only have a few. They will become necklaces for the shoppe for the upcoming Holiday season.

If you have a family member's vintage coin purse and would like a necklace made from it, bring it into the shoppe and we can discuss the materials you would like to go with it to create your own one of a kind necklace.