October 8, 2007

Knitting

With days getting shorter and evenings beginning to cool off I look at the mantel in my livingroom and see my collection of knitting needles in every color shining through the glass container and I smile because it's time to start a knitting project.



I have been collecting knitting needles for years. I have the ones I purchased from craft supply stores, my mother's knitting needles she used before her stroke that left her without the dexterity knitting requires and the found knitting needles from thrift stores, estate sales and flea markets. I have many pairs in the same size and length in metal, plastic and wood. I love them. I kept them in a drawer for years and one day I decided to use them as art and now they are displayed on my mantel year around.



Some gals knit year around, but I am a Fall and Winter knitter. Mainly due to my love of being outside and gardening. I would rather have my hands in the dirt during the growing season.


I have been doing handcrafts since I first learned the basic single crochet stitch required to make round rugs out of rags. My Grandma Pearl was a great recycler even before it was in vogue. She taught me how to make crocheted round rugs when I was about seven. We would work on them together swinging in the porch swing on her front porch.

I went through my cross stitch, basket weaving, embroidery, quilting, needlepoint, and plastic canvas phases but knitting and crochet are my favorites.



Later, in my 20's I learned how to crochet to the point that I could make doilies, sweaters, scarves, etc. with the help of Birdie Oldham, she was in her 80's at the time and was an avid crocheter. She preferred intricate doilies using the finest thread and smallest crochet hooks. She was so patient and encouraging. We would have family dinners together and then we would sit together and begin our lesson while the men watched television in the next room.


I didn't learn how to knit until I was in my late 30's and have progressed to the point of making simple sweaters, etc. I prefer knitting for garments as the weight is lighter and it requires less yarn. Crochet is perfect for hot pads, slippers, toys, washcloths, etc.

My favorite yarn is generally wool blends to here's to the little guys that make it all possible.






No comments: