August 17, 2009

Paul McCartney - Blackbird



An altered book project earlier this year featured the song lyrics from Paul McCartney's "Blackbird". Recently on NPR I heard a review of a concert in New York City by Paul McCartney and the reviewer's favorite song of the night was an acoustical version of "Blackbird".


When interviewed regarding the song Sir Paul said that the song was written during a time when he was discouraged about the climate in the Deep South. Blackbird is a song about a young African American girl living during those times. The song has taken on a new meaning for me as I listen to the lyrics.

2 comments:

Lee Weber said...

wow- I didn't know the history of the song. But I think most people love it for the same reason- the message of flying.

Nita Jo said...

One of my favorite songs. The story is beautiful. I can certainly identify with it.

Nita Jo