August 6, 2009

Antique Plunder From Recent Travels



I am such a sucker for vintage lace and ric rac trimmings.  Vintage trims remind me of my Grandma Pearl and Granny Oldham who taught me how to crochet when I was nineteen.  She had the most beautiful crocheted tablecloths, doilies, afghans, bedspreads and sweaters.   She was so patient with me - I was a slow student.  I think of her each time I pick up a crochet hook to work on the project at hand.  I never get tired of crochet and the memories of Granny that keep me company while I work.

The tiny rabbit from Occupied Japan found a home on my window sill next to my African Violets.  Isn't he the sweetest little rabbit? My favorite book as a little girl was Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter.  I loved the illustrations of Peter in the farmer's garden.  So, I have a weakness for bunnies and whenever I see a sweet little rabbit like this one - well I just have to add it to my collection.
This is a tiny doll dress made from vintage feed sack material in bright pink.  It will be so beautiful framed in a white shadowbox for my little niece's bedroom.  This little dress brings memories of my Grandma telling us how she used the fabric from flour sacks to make clothing, aprons, and pillows long ago.  I miss you Grandma - everyday.
Have A Mice Day!  Love it and had to have it because it made me laugh.  I use old tins like this in my studio for buttons, beads, and other tiny bits awaiting their new life as jewelry making someone happy each time it is worn.  That's just the best kind of karma.

Another Occupied Japan find -a tiny pale green Speak No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil figurine featuring little pigs.  The map in the background of this photo is from a vintage book of maps of the world in vibrant colors I also found on this jaunt.
A tiny jade Happy Buddha reminds me to embrace my inner Buddha nature and live a meaningful life filled with joy and service.
This vintage battered spelling book was so fun to find - I have a real problem with books.  I just can't get enough.  I am an avid reader and love the feel and smell of books.  My favorite authors are Barbara Kingsolver's "Poisonwood Bible" and John Steinbeck's "East of Eden".    I highly recommend both of them for you to enjoy and never forget.
I also love vintage pastry cutters in tin and add them to my gadget drawers in the kitchen.  Imagine how many cookies this little cutter has made over the years.  

1 comment:

Nita Jo said...

I love all the treasures you found. I am enjoying reading your blog. I found you through Dawn of The Feathered Nest. She posted about a giveaway where the requirement was to post a comment on your blog. I am so glad I decided to come by!

Nita Jo