January 27, 2009

Yummy Knitted Socks - the Ultimate Winter Luxury

I have been dreaming of learning how to knit socks for years.  I have considered classes at my local yarn shop, but the classes were not offered regularly and I always had conflicts that kept me from enrolling.  

Could I self-teach myself the necessary techniques involved in knitting socks on my own?  The thought of of double pointed needles required in most patterns was daunting and prevented me from making an attempt.  I could always dream of those socks each Winter, couldn't I?  It seemed it would be as close as I would get.  sigh....


My dream of learning how to knit socks came to a reality when I found the Patons Kroy Socks yarn that self stripes as you knit in the most amazing colors:  burnt orange, chocolate, lavender and black.  I had to have the yarn and the next step in realizing my dream would be the perfect step by step - how to book...on sock knitting.
Thank you Ann Budd!  I highly recommend this "Getting Started - Knitting Socks" book that lays flat for easy reference as you knit.   The instructions were so easy to follow and made the handling of all those double pointed needles - not simple, but manageable.  I managed five double pointed needles at once!  Who would have ever thought I would be wearing my gorgeous new socks while I am writing this blog.  I am so happy to have achieved something I have wanted to do for years.  I purchased another couple of skeins of the Kroy yarn for another pair - this could become an addiction.  I want to make socks for all the girls in my family - everybody is getting socks!
Three double pointed needles in use - look at those wonderful colors in the self striping yarn.
I altered the pattern for short socks to wear with my Danskos, Keens and my Teva mary janes I received for Christmas this year from my sweet sister in law, Lisa in California.  I love Teva shoes and highly recommend them.  You can find them on Zappos.com the end all website for shoe addicts.  They have a shopper friendly free shipping and return policy and ship within 24 hours.  Expect to receive your shoes within three days delivered to your door!

No comments: