January 4, 2009

True Grit by Charles Portis

In my travels over the weekend, I found this 1968 First Edition book in excellent condition at an antique shop.  I puzzled over the book a few moments, peered inside to verify this was the same "story" as the movie from 1969 starring Kim Darby and John Wayne - True Grit.

It was and I added it to my basket of goodies for purchase.  I read the book over the weekend and it was very enjoyable and quite exciting in the ending chapters.  I actually shivered with anxiety at one point when our heroine, Mattie finds herself in a quandry involving rattle snakes.  
The movie portrayed the book very well leaving some things out, but covering the book very well.  A few liberties were taken, but I'll let you read the book yourself to discover them for yourself.
My parents watch True Grit and Lonesome Dove, the mini series annually.  It's something they share on cold Winter days, one of their rituals when cooped up inside during the icy days of the Season.

For those of you unfamiliar with the movie and book I have included a trailor below for your viewing pleasure.  I highly recommend the movie.  I am sure it is available for rent at your local movie rental location or online.

No comments: