May 22, 2010

Lily Pad Formed Copper Pendant


There are afternoons while working at my bench in the studio that I get distracted with a thought or an idea of something I want to create....usually I can resist temptation and continue working on jewelry that needs to be shipped or pieces for an upcoming show.  But, this week the urge was too strong to resist and this is the result...

A copper lily pad necklace that I cut from a sheet of copper and then hammered the metal into the shape of a lily pad on the anvil.  I admit that I have a thing for hammering metal.  I love adding ripples along the edges and creating the bowl indention.  There's something about hammering metal that speaks to me...it is one of my favorite things to do in the studio.


Once I achieved the desired shape it was time to play with patinas.  After experimenting with several different mixtures and combinations I chose the blue patina for the lily pad.  Once the patina was dried, I sanded and scored the copper to highlight the desired areas and then sealed the entire piece.

Holes were drilled for the cables to thread through and a large pearl was secured to the surface. 

I'd love to know what you think?  Is the pendant too large?  Should the cables be heavier?

I will be sharing the other pieces that I created with you in the upcoming week.  I have been having fun in the studio and have lots to share with you.

Here's what's blooming in the garden...

Lovely Clemantis

Wonderful Roses

Pale Pink Peonies

Oops, Angus is on the wrong side of the door again for the 20th time today....gotta dash!

Blessings and a Hug - Julie

11 comments:

Riki Schumacher said...

Love the lily pad, great job Julie! And the flowers are spectacular. Hugs, Riki

elsie said...

your copper lily pad literally made me have one of those "little involuntary sigh" moments... it's perfection!!

ShabbyChicShaz said...

Hi, I love the lily pad, must be so satisfying hammering metal and making something this beautiful. With regards to the cable, yes, I think it needs to be more substantial, maybe a couple of tiny lily pads either side and a chunky leather thong?

Lori said...

awwww:) silly angus...your flowers are SO pretty!!! i love your pendant too...very beautiful!!!

Julie Pishny said...

I like the idea of two smaller lily pads on either side and the leather thong would be a nice touch. Thank you for the feedback!

Esther said...

beautiful lily pad!! i agree with Shaz.; maybe the cocker is quite slim.. but the focal is stunning!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Julie, that is STUNNING!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

Your lily pad is such a beauty! The patina is the perfect shade of blue. Angus is too cute!

Sharon said...

I love the lilypad and do agree with you about the leather thong. Beautiful flowers and pup, too!

The Joy of Nesting said...

Hi Julie!

What a great great lily pad focal!! It makes you instantly sign and think of all things summer around a little pond!! It would look amazing with a white lawn frock or sundress!!

For me I'd make the cables heavier or maybe a matching blue strip of sari silk with ever so delicate bit of wire wrap. But that might have to be an experiment first cuz you sure wouldn't want to steal any of the lily pad's attention. :)

Have an audacious week with tons of makin art squeezed in for good messure!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Alice said...

You lily pad left me breathless! The shape, color, and texture are just perfect! And that pearl.....so sweet!

I do think the cable needs to have a little more heft--though not much or it will take away from the pendant.

Beautiful!